Hummus originates in the Middle East and is fantastic for anyone in a hurry. It’s made with chickpeas which are a great source of protein also and are a source of iron and fibre. This recipe is really easy to make yourself and can be stored in the fridge.
Ingredients – Serves 3 Adults
- 200g / 7 oz. tinned chickpeas or dried chickpeas that have been soaked and cooked
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 100ml / 3½ fl oz. of water
- 50ml / 2 fl oz. of tahini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender and blend
- Add a little of the water to make a stiff paste
- The amount of water you need will vary so add a little at a time
- You can add a little more salt and pepper or lemon juice for taste
- You can also add some olive oil for extra richness, but extra oil means extra calories!
Serve on wholegrain pitta bread
Once you add a source of carbohydrate for example pitta bread or wholegrain crackers,these will affect glucose levels and will need to be counted towards the overall carbohydrate content of the meal. The nutritional table is for hummus alone.
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu