Family mealtimes can be hard to juggle, especially if you have fussy eaters. This recipe is great for all the family!
Ingredients – Serves 4 Adults
- 900g / 2lb potatoes, peeled and diced
- 300g / 10 oz. carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 100g / 4 oz. onion, peeled and chopped
- 450g / 1lb lean minced beef
- 1 x 400g / 14 oz. tin of chopped tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Cook the potatoes and carrots in boiling water until tender, around 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion until softened.
- Add the minced meat to the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned all over. Drain off any excess fat
- Add the tinned tomatoes. Cover, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes. Transfer to a casserole dish
- When the potatoes and carrots are cooked, drain them and return to the saucepan. Mash the potatoes and carrots. together with a potato masher or potato ricer until smooth
- Spoon the carrot and potato mixture on top of the minced meat mixture and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until the top starts to brown.
Serve with fresh steamed vegetables or salad. For young babies, purée the minced meat in the food processor before mixing it with some of the mashed potato and carrot. As your baby gets a little older make this into mini-shepherd’s pies and decorate with a face made from vegetables.
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu