Why not try this recipe to spice up your chicken dinner?
Use a reduced salt soup and try avoid adding salt to the recipe. In the nutrition information opposite remember to look at the total carbohydrate rather than ‘of which sugars’.
Ingredients – Serves 4 Adults
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 4 medium chicken fillets, chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 450g / 1lb of broccoli florets
- 1 tin of chicken or mushroom soup
- 1 dessertspoon of curry powder
- 150ml / ¼ pint semi-skimmed milk
- 50g / 2 oz. of brown breadcrumbs, 2 pan slices
- 50g / 2 oz. of low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C / 425°F / Gas Mark 7
- Chop the onion finely and fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the chicken pieces. Cook for 10 minutes
- Boil broccoli for 2 to 3 minutes
- Mix the milk, soup and curry powder together in a jug
- Put the cooked chicken pieces, onion and broccoli into the casserole dish
- Pour in the soup mixture and cover with the breadcrumbs and grated cheese
- Cook in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes
Serve with freshly steamed carrots or baby potatoes.
Remember: once you add a source of carbohydrates for example mashed potatoes or baby boiled potatoes or rice, all these affect blood glucose levels and will need to be counted towards the overall carbohydrate content of the meal.
About this Recipe
This recipe was adapted from 101+ Square Meals
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu