Stews are easy and versatile dinner recipes. They can be easily prepared before dinner time and leftovers can be frozen for another day. Beef is packed full of iron; an essential mineral needed for red blood cells and prevention of anaemia.
Ingredients – Serves 4 Adults
- 675g / 1½ lb of lean stewing beef, diced
- 1 dessertspoon vegetable oil
- 1 beef stock cube dissolved in 575ml / 1 pint of water or homemade stock
- 40g / 1½ oz. of plain flour
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry the meat in a frying pan on both sides until browned.
- Remove from the frying pan and place in a saucepan.
- Chop the onions and carrots and fry lightly.
- Remove from the frying pan and place with the meat in the saucepan.
- Sprinkle the flour into the frying pan and stir well.
- Add the stock cubes, water and seasoning. Continue stirring.
- Add this to the meat and vegetables and cook gently over a low heat for 1 to 1½ hours until the meat is tender.
Serve with boiled or mashed potatoes
Remember once you add a source of carbohydrates for example mashed potatoes or baby boiled potatoes or rice, all these affect blood glucose levels and will need to be counted towards the overall carbohydrate content of the meal.
Source: safefood https://www.safefood.net/