This simple recipe makes mincemeat a bit more exciting and is ideal for a quick dinner. It is also perfect for freezing in individual portions.
Once you add rice to the meal you will need to add it to the total carbohydrate of the meal.
Ingredients – Serves 4 Adults
- 450g / 1lb of minced beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot
- 100g / 3½ oz. of frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 medium pepper
- 5 button mushrooms
- ½ of a 400g / 14 oz. tin of tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- 150ml / ¼ pint of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 2 dessertspoons of tomato sauce
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- ½ of a 240g / 8.5 oz. tin of kidney beans
- 1 dessertspoon of plain flour
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Dissolve beef cube in a 150ml / ¼ pint of boiling water.
- Put minced beef in dry frying pan. There is sufficient fat in mince for frying.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes over a low heat until well browned, stirring all the time.
- Add onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and chilli powder and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add beef stock, tomato sauce and tinned tomatoes. Bring to the boil.
- Add kidney beans.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce is at the desired consistency.
Serve with wholegrain brown rice
Source: safefood https://www.safefood.net/