This is a perfect evening meal when you come in from work, are tired and need something fast. You can alternate the protein (ham) to other lean meats such as chicken or even cooked fish.
Preparation: 5 minutes Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Ingredients – Serves 1 Adult
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 slice ham, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small leek (approx 100-120g), finely sliced
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp unsweetened/natural low-fat yogurt
- pinch white pepper
- 10g Parmesan, finely grated
- fresh chives, to serve
- Add the oil to a small frying pan over a low-medium heat, then add the chopped ham and leek, and stir until the leek has softened, about 3–4 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the yogurt, then mix in the pepper and half the cheese. Meanwhile, turn the grill on.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and mix quickly with a fork. Allow to cook for 1 minute, then stir again. Cook for another 1–2 minutes, constantly easing the edges of the frittata away from the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place under the grill for 2–3 minutes until golden brown.
- Slide the frittata onto a plate, sprinkle with some chopped, fresh chives and enjoy with a pitta or a slice of bread (approx 15g carbs extra – check the label on your product)
- Alternatively, allow to cool and then refrigerate.
Each 276g serving provides:
Energy/Kcals: 280 Protein: 23g Fat: 18.1g (of which saturates 5.7g)
Carbs: 2.5g of which sugars 2.5g (frittata only) Salt: 1.3g
Contributes 1 portion to your 5-7 a day
Source: Diabetes UK