People with diabetes are advised to follow a no added salt diet, so avoid added salt as suggested in the recipe to reduce the sodium content as there will already be salt in the stock cubes.
When buying stock cubes it is a good idea to try the reduced salt variety.
Vegetable Soup counts towards 1 of your 5 a day.
Carbohydrate: Remember adding bread to this recipe will increase the total carbohydrate
Ingredients – Serves 4 Adults
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium turnip
- 1 medium parsnip
- 2 leeks
- 1 medium onion
- 8 mushrooms
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 50g / 2 oz. of plain flour
- 150ml / ¼ pint of low fat milk
- 2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 1 litre / 1¾ pints of water
- Wash, peel and dice carrots, turnips and parsnips.
- Wash and chop leeks, chop onion and slice mushrooms.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and gently fry onion and mushrooms.
- Add carrots, turnips, parsnips and leeks and fry gently.
- Stir in the flour to absorb fat, gradually stir in the semi-skimmed milk.
- Add stock and bring to boil, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes, pepper and a pinch of salt if desired.
- Cover saucepan and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.
This will add to the total carbohydrate of your meal and so will affect blood glucose readings.
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu