When buying stock cubes it is a good idea to try the reduced salt variety.
Vegetable Soup counts towards 1 of your 5 a day.
Carbohydrate: Remember adding bread to this recipe will increase the total carbohydrate
Ingredients – Serves 4 Adults
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium turnip
- 1 medium parsnip
- 2 leeks
- 1 medium onion
- 8 mushrooms
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 50g / 2 oz. of plain flour
- 150ml / ¼ pint of low fat milk
- 2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 1 litre / 1¾ pints of water
- Wash, peel and dice carrots, turnips and parsnips.
- Wash and chop leeks, chop onion and slice mushrooms.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and gently fry onion and mushrooms.
- Add carrots, turnips, parsnips and leeks and fry gently.
- Stir in the flour to absorb fat, gradually stir in the semi-skimmed milk.
- Add stock and bring to boil, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes, pepper and a pinch of salt if desired.
- Cover saucepan and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.
This will add to the total carbohydrate of your meal and so will affect blood glucose readings.
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu