Avocado is high in monunsaturated fats which can help to protect your heart and it also count towards 1 of your 5 a day. Try to include, as here, at least 2-3 portions of your 5 a day at lunchtime.
With diabetes you should include a source of carbohydrate with this recipe. If you were to have 2 slices of wholegrain bread it would provide an additional 30g of carbohydrate.
Ingredients – Serves 4 Adults
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and stones removed
- 390g/14 oz of skinless and boneless chicken fillets, around 3 fillets
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the chicken under a grill or non-stick pan
- While that’s cooking, chop the avocados into small cubes
- Mix the olive oil and pepper together with a fork
- Remove the chicken and cut into strips
- Serve in a salad bowl with the avocado
- Drizzle the oil on top and garnish with the parsley according to taste
NB – bread or potatoes will add to the total carbohydrate of your meal and so will affect blood glucose readings.
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu