This fruit flan is a nice dessert to share as a treat with family and friends at a get together or meal.
Carbohydrate: This recipe uses caster sugar, remember a small amount of sugar is fine as part of a healthy balanced diet for people with diabetes.
Ingredients – Serves 8 Adults
- Flan case
- 85g / 3 oz. of plain, white flour
- 85g / 3 oz. of caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 x 227g / 8 oz. tin of fruit cocktail – canned in juice not syrup
- 1 x 23g / 1 oz. sachet of quick-set jelly crystals
- 1 x 170g / 6 oz. carton of single cream
- Water for jelly, around 425ml / ¾ pint
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6
- Place sugar in a bowl and whisk together with eggs over a pan of hot water for 10 minutes. Remove and continue whisking for 5 minutes.
- Gently fold in sieved flour, in about 4 lots
- Pour mixture into a greased and floured flan tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for around 20 minutes
- Dissolve jelly and leave in a cool place. Do not allow to set
- Drain the tin of fruit
- When flan case is cooled, arrange fruit on top and cover with jelly
- Allow jelly to set, whip the cream and decorate the flan by piping the cream around it.
If you have extra jelly leftover, pour it into a bowl and place in the fridge to set and serve with the flan
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu