This ice-cream is a novel way of including wholegrain into your children’s diet and giving them a treat too!
Carbohydrate: This recipe uses sugar, a small amount of sugar is fine as part of a healthy balanced diet for people with diabetes.
Remember when looking at the effect of consuming sugar in your diet on your blood glucose levels, you must look at the total carbohydrate in a recipe and not just the ‘of which sugars’ amount.
Ingredients – Serves 10 Adults
- 110g / 4 oz. of wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 110g / 4 oz. of dark brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 290ml / 10½ fl oz. of double cream
- 150ml / 5½ fl oz. of single cream
- 2 drops of vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas mark 6.
- Leave the breadcrumbs to dry out in the oven for around 15 minutes or so.
- Mix the sugar in with the breadcrumbs and put back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow the mix to cool.
- Crush the sweetened crumbs together with the back of a spoon.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Beat the yolks and mix in with the cream and the crumb mix.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are slightly stiff.
- Fold the whites into the mix and freeze in an airtight plastic container.
Serve with some fresh or tinned fruit like strawberries or raspberries – Remember this will increase the total carbohydrate of the dessert.
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu