It’s fine to have an egg a day if you have diabetes as they are a good source of protein. However, if you have raised cholesterol it may be better to limit them to 4 per week.
Poaching and scrambling are better than fried.
Carbohydrate: remember to count the total carbohydrate on the nutrition information table opposite, not just the of ‘which is sugars’ amount.
Ingredients – Serves 2 Adults
- 2 bagels (you can try different types of breads)
- 1 jar basil pesto
- 1 large tomato (beef tomatoes if you can get them)
- ¼ aubergine
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the tomato and aubergine into slices ½ inch thick.
- You want 1-2 slices of tomato and 1-2 slices of aubergine per bagel.
- Brush the slices with a little of olive oil, put them on a baking tray and roast them in the oven at 200 oC for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Put the 2 eggs on to poach.
- Spread the bagels with about 1 dessertspoon of basil pesto each.
- Toast them under the grill until the edges start to brown.
- Top the bagels with slices of aubergine and tomato and sit an egg on top. Enjoy!
Source: Safefood www.safefood.eu