Carbohydrate: Remember smoothies can be high in total carbohydrate so do look at the nutrition label. If taking smoothies when you are out and about, ask for the smallest serving or share as larger ones can contain a lot of carbohydrate and will affect your glucose readings.
Smoothies like fruit juice can raise blood glucose levels quickly so should be avoided between meals and are best taken with breakfast or lunch.
Ingredients – Serves 2 Adults
- 80g of frozen raspberries
- 1 medium banana
- ½ pot (62g) of low fat natural yoghurt
- 90ml low fat milk
- 4 ice cubes
- 90ml unsweetened orange juice
- Make sure all the ingredients are chilled before use
- Wash and peel fruit
- Blend fruit, yoghurt, milk and juice together using a hand held blender or a smoothie maker until creamy
- Add ice cubes and blend again
- Pour into two glasses and serve
Source: safefood www.safefood.eu