The fat in this recipe is coming from the mixed nuts. The type of fat found in nuts is lower in saturated fats and higher in the monounsaturates and polyunsaturates and so is fine as a choice of cereal on a few occasions a week.
Remember to read the nutrition label for total carbohydrate remember adding milk and yoghurt to the cereal will increase the total carbohydrate also.Please note the nutritional table opposite is for muesli only.
Suitable for vegetarians
Nuts are a fantastic source of protein and are rich in lots of minerals including iron, magnesium and zinc.
Ingredients – Serves 10 Adults
- 1 pack Muesli Cereal Base (or a mixture of rolled wheat and oats available at most supermarkets)
- 100g mixed dried fruit – try blueberries, cranberries, raisins and chopped apricots
- 50g sesame seeds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 100g chopped mixed nuts (e.g. brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds)
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container in a dark cupboard.
- Serve with milk or topped with yoghurt and fresh fruit.
- Makes 10 portions.
Source: Safefood www.safefood.eu