We have compiled a list of tips and useful information to help on your lap of the lake this Sunday.
- The weather is forecast to be sunny and dry with temperatures of up to 17C. Check the weather forecast the night before and dress accordingly.
- Registration is from 9:30am – 10.00am. The walk will start at 10.30am so please leave yourself enough time to register
- The starting location at the Blessington Further Education Centre can be found on Google Maps here
- There is plenty of parking available.
- If you have finalised your fundraising please bring it with you on the morning. For those who have not finished fundraising, we will follow up with each individually over the coming weeks and arrange a suitable method of payment.
You choose which of the following 7 areas you would like your fundraising monies to be directed to:
- Patient Support & Education Services
- Type 1 Research
- Type 2 Research
- Teen Activity Day
- Sweetpea Kidz Club
- 2015/16 Type 2 Online Education Programme
- 2015/16 Type 1 GP Awareness Initiative
For more information on any of these areas just click here
On the day
- At registration you will receive your tshirt which we would ask all to wear on the day so you can be easily identified as a participant.
- There will be bottles of water and fruit and snack bars at registration for you to consume along the route. However do ensure you bring a good supply of water and snacks yourself in your backpack to the event as you will be walking for upwards of 4-6hrs.
- Ensure to start your day with a good healthy breakfast to get you ready for the full day of activity.
- There will be bathroom breaks in each of the 3 villages along the route, Valleymount, (11km) Ballyknockan (16km) and Lackan (22km)
- The bridge crossing the Lakes near the end is just under 2km from home so if anyone wants to make that as their final target and finishing point that will be no problem. We will have marshals positioned here to ferry people back to the finish line.
- If anyone needs to stop at any stage please alert your nearest marshall.
• If any friends or family want to help out on the day please bring them along as they can help us as volunteer marshals, caterers etc.
What to bring and wear
It is important that you wear the appropriate clothes for this event. Wearing comfortable clothing on the day and being prepared for changing weather throughout the day is vital to your overall enjoyment of the Lap The lake Walk.
• Good pair of shoes (boots/runners) WELL WORN IN
• Comfortable clothing – T-shirt, Jersey or Fleece top, tracksuit bottoms or comfortable walking trousers (Jeans not recommended)
• Lightweight waterproof jacket (in case of rain)
It is also suggested you bring:
• Small backpack
• Spare t-shirt/top
• Snacks & Bites to eat
• There will be water and fruit & granola bars available along the route
• Ambulances – will be located along the route for full duration of the walk
• Members of the Order of Malta will be available on bikes
• Nurses also will be present along the route
• Diabetes : Bring all blood monitoring equipment and insulin (if applicable) and your hypo kit
Whilst every effort will be made to ensure a safe Lap the Lake experience for all participants, participants take part of their own volition and Diabetes Ireland cannot be held responsible for any injury or loss caused to participants of this event.
In the interests of your personal safety, please be observant for the duration of the event as the road will be open to vehicle traffic. The road will be well signposted and marshalled for traffic but all participants should adhere to full road safety practice when participating in the event.