A Type 2 Diabetes ‘Ask the Experts’ public meeting was held in Castlebar Co Mayo on February 13th in Breaffy Hotel.
There was a lot of interest in the meeting and a full house on the night. On the night, four health professional experts oversaw questions and answers sessions. The people in attendance divided into four small discussion groups to encourage discussion.
The Experts rotated around the four groups for 15 minute questions and answers sessions. This gave the people in attendance an opportunity to ask questions about their Diabetes in a relaxed, informal setting.
The four experts were on the night were:
- Conor Cahill, Community Podiatrist
- Ms Dearbhla O Hanlon, Acting Community Diabetes Dietitian
- Ms Corena Campbell, Community Diabetes Nurse Specialist
- Dr Elizabeth Brosnan, Consultant Endocrinologist Mayo University Hospital.
Our 4 experts with Clair Naughton of Diabetes Ireland and Barbara Muldoon of Ascencia Diabetes Care
The meeting was a huge success and was enjoyed by experts and attendees alike. The feedback from the night was excellent with some people saying:
- ‘The meeting format gave me the confidence to ask questions about my own diabetes management’
- ‘I realise now that the management of this condition need to be ongoing and self driven’
- ‘I am reassured that I am managing my diabetes fairly good’.
The meeting was sponsored by a grant from the HSE National Lottery and Ascencia Diabetes Care. Barbara Muldoon from Ascencia Diabetes Care was in attendance on the night. She had a busy exhibition stand updating glucometers for those who needed them.