According to a recent Healthy Ireland survey, there is currently 854,165 adults over 40 in the Republic of Ireland at increased risk of developing (or have) Type 2 diabetes.
Do you recognise or have any of these symptoms?
- Fatigue, lack of energy
- Extreme thirst
- Frequent trips to the bathroom (urination) especially at night
- Rapid and unexplained weight gain or loss
- Frequent infections
- Blurred vision
- Numbness, pain or tingling in your hands or feet
The more risk factors or symptoms that you have the more likely you are to have diabetes or prediabetes.
- Over 40 years of age
- Have a parent or brother/sister with diabetes
- Had diabetes during a pregnancy
- Are overweight for your height
- Do not take 30 minutes of physical activity daily
- Have high blood pressure
- Have high cholesterol
If You Are Worried
Speak to your GP and tell him/her why you think you may have diabetes. A simple diabetes test will ease any worries you may have. If you are diagnosed with diabetes, don’t worry. Your doctor will take steps to treat and control your condition. Early detection, effective treatment and good control will help you avoid the more serious health related problems of diabetes and allow you to maintain your quality of life.