Here are some simple tips to remember over the festive season if your are living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- Stick with sugar free or diet drinks as much as possible. Keep fresh fruit juice to a small glass taken with a meal as it contains lots of natural sugars.
- Save your selection boxes and tins of sweets- they will last into January and don’t need to be eaten all at once.
- Love the Christmas fruit and veg! Fruit salad, melon, satsumas, fruit juice, parsnips, carrots, peas, brussel sprouts, broccoli and dried fruit (only a small handful). Make sure you have your share of these too over Christmas not just crisps, chocolate and cake!
- Take some exercise to walk off the large meals and puddings. Save the DVD’s and computer games until its dark and get outside when you can.
- Take your time when eating; slow down especially at this time of year. You usually eat more when you eat quickly and slowing down will help you to reduce the amount you take in.
- Fried food can be easily avoided by roasting or grilling. Avoid adding butter to vegetables, and keep an eye on how many sauces you eat. When eating out ask for sauce on the side so you can control the amount you take in.
- If you are on insulin or on a pump and will be snacking more or having a larger dinner discuss altering boluses or injections with your diabetes team.